Friday, September 09, 2005

Will cold weather affect the battery?

I'm sure it will, but the question is: how much? What got me thinking about this was a cool morning yesterday. It was 52-degrees when I left for work in the Hybrid and I noticed that the gas engine was running longer and more often than usual. Today, the morning temperature was in the low 60's and the vehicle seemed much more efficient. The gas engine didn't run as long and the vehicle was responsive on battery power alone.

We all know that batteries don't like cold weather. What's going to happen to the 288V NiMH battery in the frigid winter and what has Toyota done to plan for cold weather?

1 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous kwkarth@comcast.net said...

I observed similar things with the Honda Civic Hybrids I had. My average commute gas mileage in cold weather was sometimes as low as 32mpg, but in more temperate weather, it was easy to average 42mpg or better over the same course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home