Friday, September 16, 2005

What if the battery dies?

Yesterday, I was driving in to work with the Hybrid and traffic was awful. I don't just mean there were occasional delays, it was painfully slow at least 75% of the way. Normally, I wouldn't mind at all. Why should I? The Hybrid is a champ in those situations as it carefully sips gasoline only when needed, which really wasn't often in this case.

I tapped the touchscreen display just to see how often the engine was kicking in and then I saw it. The battery indicator showed about a 25% charge remaining. The graphic is comprised of eight "bars"; if all eight are filled, the battery is fully charged. The picture above is an example from another vehicle. I was halfway to work and only had two bars showing. I didn't really panic and traffic seemed to ease up the rest of the way. The battery meter indicated six bars by the time I got to work, so there was no issue.

I have to wonder though: will the Hybrid let the battery fully drain and then just run on gasoline? This will be interesting next weekend when we take the vehicle from the Philadelphia area to Dover, Delaware for a NASCAR Nextel Cup race. Typically, we sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic for a good two hours near Dover. I'm sure we'll get there, but will it be on a dead Hybrid battery?

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger MikeScott8 said...

So I forgot this until you all started talking (joking) about Hybrid recalls. You mentioned you were finee until the battery dies, which caused me to remember you posted about that and I had something about it.

The day I was at the rental house waiting for the trailer to be dropped off with our bel;ongings I was walking around outside and the neighbor across the street came home and we started chatting. She has the Prius and we got to battery and she said she was told that the different sections go NOT AT ONCE, and you can replace each part seperately.

Just some FYI for you to check on, take it with a grain of salt as I don't know how true it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home