Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Is the Hybrid worth the extra $7,000?

That's the question that is answered by Warren Brown of the Washington Post. Warren basically says "No" because the fuel efficiency wasn't as good as promised and the extra seven grand can purchase a bunch of gasoline. I disagree with Warren and here's why.

First things first: is the gas version of the vehicle actually $7,000 less than the Hybrid version? I don't think so: to compare apples to apples, you have to equip the gas version with all of the included options on the Hybrid version. I did just that and found that the exact same Highlander, minus the Hybrid system of course, was $5,400 less, not $7,000.

Secondly, everyone's gasoline cost savings is different because it all depends on what you're driving now. Sure, you can compare the miles per gallon between the gas Highlander and the Hybrid Highlander, but who cares? If you're not driving a gas powered Highlander that approach means nothing. Since I was driving a gas hog that ate through a gallon of gas every 13 miles, my savings are well over $2,000 a year. My extra costs are recouped in about two and half years and that's if gas doesn't rise. The more it rises, the faster I reach my break-even point!

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How bout some more pictures?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home